Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Long Overdue Update

Hello, blog!  It's been awhile, huh?  Last post was February 7...seems like forever ago.  Let's recap.

I made a visit to San Diego in mid-February to visit the Mueller campus, complete the admissions stuff, and get signed up for courses and GI Bill aid.  And then I spent the rest of February and the first half of March packing, trying to sell things on Craigslist, and prepping for the move itself.  It seemed like it couldn't get here fast enough.  But then at 4:00 a.m. on March 17, I packed everything I could fit into a rented GMC Terrain, put my cats in a big crate together and strapped them into the front seat, plugged my iPod into the AUX jack, and headed west.

The drive itself was fairly uneventful with the exception of the beauty that is the western US.  Seriously, Colorado and Utah were gorgeous.  I stopped in Green River, UT for the night around 7:00 and was back on the road at 4:00 a.m. again on Sunday.  I rolled into San Diego around 2:30 p.m.  It would have been sooner, but apparently, I decided to come on the rainiest freaking weekend of the season.  From Riverside to SD, I probably saw a good 20 accidents.  Scary stuff, but I made it in safely.

The cats were actually really great.  They had a pretty predictable pattern: they'd meow at me in confusion for about twenty minutes before sleeping for a few hours.  Then they'd wake up and meow at me some more.  They woke up every time I stopped, too.  But I didn't need any kitty Valium, which was a relief.  Cosette was pissed during the last twenty minutes of the drive, though.  She'd had enough and was yowling at the top of her lungs.  It was funny and a little heartbreaking all at the same time.

For about two weeks, the cats lived in El Cajon with one of my friends (Brittany), and I lived with Troy and Linda.  It was rough not having the comforts of home -- my own computer, my piano, my kitties, and really, my own space.  But then I got into my own place about five minutes down the road from Troy and Linda's place, and things have been much smoother.  The cats have settled very well here.

As for school, I'm loving it so far.  I'm coming up on the end of my first term, and it's been crazy-busy.  But from the looks of my schedule next term, it's only going to get busier.  I've toyed with the idea of taking on a part-time job, but I'm going to need that extra time for studying and sanity.  Plus, I usually fill up my social calendar on the weekends, so I don't want to have to deal with scheduling conflicts.

While I haven't found a pole studio here that I like or that isn't ridiculously expensive, I have found a great cirque studio that I love.  It has aerial silks, trapeze, lyra (aerial hoop), all kinds of yoga, ballet, handstand classes,'s pretty fantastic.  

I've met a lot of awesome people here and strengthened my relationships with friends I knew beforehand.  My gaming group is like a little family.  In short, I love it here.  Love it, love it, love it.

I guess a huge chunk of news that I've not mentioned yet is that Jon and I broke up a little over a month ago.  The distance, the pressure to move again in a year to Seattle, and our opposing views on pets are pretty much all to blame.  It's been pretty sucky, but I know it's for the best.  So I'm in that really awkward, weird limbo where I'm very much not ready to date again, even casually, but I'm also not completely heartbroken anymore. I definitely want to take some time off from dating, I think.  It's been so long since I've been single.  Time to enjoy that.

I think that about catches me up!  Quite a lot's happened in the last four months, but it's pretty much been all for the better.  I'm really excited to see what the future has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment