Monday, January 17, 2011


Well, it's been awhile since I made an actual post, so I suppose now is a good time to do that.

Christmas was kind of hectic with my travels this year, but I think one of the best Christmases I've had in awhile. I couldn't get out of Des Moines until the morning of Christmas Eve, which was hugely eventful in and of itself. I dropped off my spare keys at RJ's along with his present (he feeds my fish while I'm gone out of town for extended periods of time -- he's awesome like that), but as I walked back to my car, I made a shocking discovery: I'd locked my keys inside. And it was still running.

So RJ and I called a locksmith. At this point, I'm freaking out that I won't make it to my bus in time. It was scheduled to leave at 8:30, and I didn't get out of RJ's until right around 8:00. To add insult to injury, I slipped and fell in his driveway while walking out to meet the locksmith. Grand. Not to mention the snow removal company had JUST pulled up as soon as I did that, too. Oh yay, an even bigger audience.

I got back home and hurriedly called for a taxi. Unfortunately, due the snow storm last night, the roads were awful and cabs were taking extra-long to get to their destinations. Every company told me, "Fifteen minutes. Twenty minutes. Thirty minutes." Finally, around 8:15, I thought, "Forget it," and drove myself, wondering all the way where I was going to park. I made it to the bus station right around 8:30 and found a place on a nearby street to park. I struggled to get my bags, including the plastic one that had all of my Christmas presents in it. In my haste, however, that bag broke. I scooped up what I could, knowing I was leaving behind a few presents, which irritated me further.

I ran to the bus station, worried that the bus had already left, since I didn't see one in the terminal. I asked the counter attendant, who said the bus hadn't even made it in yet. Huge relief. That is, until I sat down and started going through my things. I realized my keys weren't with me. Swearing under my breath, I asked a nice-looking lady to please watch my bag while I retraced my steps. I ran all the way back to my car, where I found my keys laying in the snow. Again, relief. Back to the station, where we all proceeded to wait until 10:30 to board the 8:30 bus to Burlington.

Amazing, right?

Anyway, I proceeded to have a wonderful time with my family. I was relayed some awesome news (shh, 'tis a secret!), which completely made up for the troubles I'd had earlier in the day. We mostly sat and visited, reading, watching TV, playing Apples to Apples. I got a good amount of gift cards to Target (yay, new Xbox and wall art!!) and LOLCats magnets. I still actually have to mail the presents that I forgot...oops. I'm a terrible procrastinator. Are the post offices even open on MLK? Sad face.

Oh, yeah, speaking of -- I think just about everyone else but AIB students has today off. Of course, I really shouldn't complain, seeing as AIB students have a three-day weekend every week. I suppose it evens out.

Annnnndddd...maybe it's soon, but I think I may have met someone. I'm keeping a level head about it, though. No need to define anything at the present. I just really, really, really enjoy his company and spending time with him. Good times.

I like my job. No, srsly. I really do. There's a sharp learning curve at first, yes, but the managers and co-workers are all incredibly nice and patient if you actually try to do your best. I feel like I'm getting the swing of it, but I still have to ask tons of questions. I have a feeling that may not ever change. Ah, well. It's not the easiest job in the world (and the bridal consultants have it even rougher, methinks), but it's always interesting!

Pretty sure that's all for now. Even if it isn't, you're probably bored of me by this point, so, in the manner of "Dinner for Schmucks" (which is awesome, you should see it)... "I RELEASE YOU!"

No comments:

Post a Comment